Contact Info Until 3/22/12

Kristen Clauss
PO Box 49
Winterton 3340
KZN
South Africa

email: kristenclauss@gmail.com

Monday, July 2, 2012

10 kilos in 10 days...

I am sitting here in a comforable chair with tasty table mints, in a heated room. I have been at a hotel/conference center outside of Pretoria for the past week for in-service training (IST).  They treat us nice for surviving our first three months at site, rewarding us with 3 buffett meals a day (hence the 10 kilos I gained in 10 days), two tea times, hot showers, a hot tub, and a sauna. Am I really in Peace Corps right now?  I was accompanied by my supervisor, Xoli, at the beginning of the week. We learned about project management, planning the Zenzele Girl's Club that I hope to start upon my return.  Next, I was joined by my South African counterpart for more training.  We learned about different programs to implement in our communities and HIV prevention mobilization from the Center for Disease Control (CDC).  On Sunday, we went to a 4th of July party hosted by the American Embassy. I was actually on American soil for a beautiful afternoon.  The day was filled with a volleyball tourny, BBQ, a dessert contest, and face painting. Unfortunately, there were no fireworks because they were afraid it would be confused as a terrorist attack on the embassy.

Training ends tomorrow and I am taking off on a roadtrip up the wild coast-stopping in Chinsta, Coffee Bay, and Port St. Johns....Can't wait! (Wish me luck driving on the opposite side of the road).

No comments:

Post a Comment