Contact Info Until 3/22/12

Kristen Clauss
PO Box 49
Winterton 3340
KZN
South Africa

email: kristenclauss@gmail.com

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

cat and mouse...er, rat


The room next to mine is currently serving as storage for the buckets and buckets of dried mealie (corn) that my family harvested this fall. Unfortunately, along with buckets and buckets of mealie, come hungry rats. I have heard them chewing away at the bucket lids. I have seen them up in the rafters of the next room (there is a wall in between my room and the next room but it doesn’t go all the way to the roof). I have jumped over a rat on my way from the pit latrine to my room one early morning. And now, the rats have invaded. After months, they have found my room. I first noticed that a couple of my apples had been nibbled. I complained, “Ugh, why do they have to ruin all my apples. Why can’t they just eat one?” As if in response, the next day the whole apple was gone. The next day, I came home to my first encounter. The rat wasn’t expecting me home so early and upon seeing me, ran to take refuge in my wardrobe. Uh-huh. I don’t want rat piss all over my clothes. I kicked the wardrobe until he dashed out and over the wall to the next room. The battle had begun. The next day, I was sitting outside reading and came in as it was getting dark. Again taking the rat by surprise, he tried to hide behind my pots. I tried the kicking method again but this time the rat took refuge under my bed. How would I sleep at night knowing a rat was right under me? Time to call in the troops. Time for drastic actions. I then borrowed a cat and sat on my bed in the dark for at least 30 minutes, trying to lure the rat into my room so that the cat could pounce. To no avail. Unfortunately, the battle wages on. I plan to buy traps this weekend, although I’m not sure what I will do if I come home to a rat nailed to a trap on top of my fruit. This may be the first time in my life that I ever wanted to own a cat.

3 comments:

  1. There are a variety of rat control methods that will help a homeowner or business owner eradicate a rat infestation that has invaded their surrounding area. Of all the different types of control methods, Pest Mall provides rat traps that may be one of the most traditional ways to control rats in an infested area. Although they are one of the most traditional ways of control rat infestations, they remain one of the most effective ways to control rats that have invaded homes and businesses. They are also one of the most popular methods of rat control because they do not require any toxic poison bait.
    To learn more about [http://www.pestmall.com/rat-traps/ the best rat traps] visit our website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call in Gogo reinforcements. When I had a rat, I sat on the bed and whined, while my Gogo took a huge rod and smashed the head of the rat in my wardrobe on the first try. It was amazing. Then my 2 year old host brother picked it up and dragged it across the floor. That was gross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Various types of baits and traps will help you removing all the rats from your house. No need to be worried about it. You just need to know how to get rid of mice in house.

    ReplyDelete