Contact Info Until 3/22/12

Kristen Clauss
PO Box 49
Winterton 3340
KZN
South Africa

email: kristenclauss@gmail.com

Saturday, April 14, 2012

A couple random tidbits


·         I love rusks. They are an Afrikaner (white South African) breakfast food that is similar to biscotti and is delicious dunked in coffee.

·         I’m currently living in the Injisuthi valley of the Drakensburg Mountains. I am itching to get a ride to the trail heads for a nice long hike. Google it-it’s beautiful.

·         Speaking of—take note of my new address! If you happen to feel like sending me a package here are a couple of tips: write bible verses, “God loves you”, or “educational materials” on the box so that people won’t open it.  On the duty slip, put the content’s value as small as possible or else I have to pay a big customs fee. Ngiyabonga kakhulu! (Thank you so much!)

·         I live in a room separate from my host family’s main house. I’m roughing it with no electricity or running water…and my internet capable blackberry (they do call Peace Corps South Africa the “posh corps” for a reason).

·         I spent Easter weekend on the beach in Durban with some good Peace Corps friends, delicious food (Indian bunny chow to die for), an awesome hot shower, and lots of exploring.

·         My “try anything once” motto hasn’t led me astray yet. The weirdest thing I have tried is sardines for breakfast. The sardines were good but I’m not sure I’ll ever eat fish at 6am again.

·         I love my host family.  They have adopted me as a new daughter.  I spend time getting to know them every evening around dinner time and just keep loving them more and more.  They speak English which is nice considering my Zulu conversations still can’t go much further than the weather and what I would like to buy in the market.

·         I just re-read the Hunger Games in honor of the movie opening. I am jealous of everyone who has seen it and am plotting how I can get to a big city to see it for myself.

·         I am buying a bike in the near future. For those of you who know my bike riding abilities, get ready for my many crash stories that are sure to come. Good thing Peace Corps requires a helmet.

·         I miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment