Contact Info Until 3/22/12

Kristen Clauss
PO Box 49
Winterton 3340
KZN
South Africa

email: kristenclauss@gmail.com

Monday, April 30, 2012

My South African Family

Here is a little bit about my new family:

Gogo- Gogo is the South African name for grandma. You use it to refer to anyone of the grandmother age. In fact, I don't even know my Gogo's real name-she is just Gogo.  My Gogo is easily one of my favorite people I've met in South Africa. She is a retired teacher-meaning her english is great. We have had several good conversations about teaching, my family, America, aparteid, etc.  She looks after me and always makes sure that I am ok. She is constantly trying to get me hot water so I don't get sick and make sure I eat enough (I'm too skinny).  She runs the household and has a huge garden that provides us with a lot of fresh veggies and a ton of corn (they love corn here-they literally put "mealies" in everything. I even had a drink made out of mealies yesterday).

Mpume-Mpume is one of Gogos 6 children.  She is the principal at the primary school and always seems to be in control of everything. She is probably somewhere in her 50s and has a son in Pretoria that occasionally comes to visit. Word on the street is he likes to hike so I definitely need to get him to go with me on his next visit. 

Mayasi- Mayasi is also one of Gogo's daughters (also in her 50s).  She is a teacher at the primary school (a family full of educators!). She is quiet at first but also has the South African hospitality that I love so much.  She loves South African "soapies" (soap operas) and even though I swear they are lowering my IQ, I enjoy watching them with her.

Squ- Squ is one of Mayasi's sons (in his 30s). He is my next door neighbor in my house.  He is very quiet but helpful-always doing the "manly" things around the house.  In fact, he said he will be hooking up my electricity this week!

Those 4 people are the main residents in my home. However, the Gogo's house is the home base for the whole family.  During holidays, everyone migrates home at some point.  They are always welcome and there's always a bed waiting for them.  This weekend I got to go to a family members wedding in Pietermaritzburg where I met tons and tons of family.  I have to say, there isn't anyone in the Ndlovu family that I don't like. They all kept asking when I was coming back to visit next!  While I miss my family in America-you don't have to worry because my SA family is taking good care of me while I'm away.

No comments:

Post a Comment