Contact Info Until 3/22/12

Kristen Clauss
PO Box 49
Winterton 3340
KZN
South Africa

email: kristenclauss@gmail.com

Monday, April 29, 2013

Project Update!


I recently realized that a lot of my blog posts are about vacations and my mom confirmed: her friends think that all I do is travel. So, to ease all of your minds and prove that I do work (sometimes), here is a little update on two of the projects that I’m most excited about right now.

Primary School Computer Lab: Last year, I asked the primary school principal if she would like TOMS shoes for her learners if I could arrange it. She replied, “Yes, but I’d really like some computers instead.” While computers are a bit more expensive, I was determined.  There are probably less than 10 computers in my village, three of which are at the center where I work, one of which I own.  I applied to get donated computers and after a long wait, I finally heard back that the JCC of Durban is donating 10 computers to the primary school in my area! I am working with the principal (who coincidentally is also my host mom) to transport the computers, and set up a computer lab. I will then help train the educators on how to teach computer classes, and help out in classes until they are going smoothly. In a world where you can’t achieve anything without basic computer knowledge, I’m so excited that these kids will get a chance to learn. 

Zenzele Girls Club: After months of trying to start this club and failing, it finally started and is now the highlight of my week. 22 girls from Grade 8-10 meet with me every week to talk about important issues, do crafts, and eat snacks. We have talked about peer pressure, relationships, what boys are thinking, safe sex, and much more.  We’ve made friendship bracelets, cards, necklaces, and crafts galore.  As a Health Volunteer, the best parts are the condom races, the tampon demonstrations, and when the girls ask to be HIV tested. (I’m telling you, this is what every Health Volunteer dreams of.) A couple of weeks ago, we did an activity where the girls wrote down questions they would want a boy to answer. Then, I had boys their age answer the questions anonymously for the girls to see.  Some of the answers were so honest and great; some were too funny not to share. When asked, “One day, what kind of girl would you like to introduce to your family?” One boy answered, “Nobuhle Ndlovu” (my given isiZulu name). When asked, “What happens if you have sex or kiss with someone you don’t love?” One boy answered, “Prison.” I now have other girls asking me when the next club is so that they can join too!

No comments:

Post a Comment